August 21, 2026

Shoal Bay community continues to push back against pathway construction plans

RESIDENTS are continuing the fight against a $1.25million concrete shared pathway scheduled for imminent construction between Halifax and Harwood Avenue.

After a meeting with Port Stephens Council on 12 May, the community attempted to defer the project until March 2027, which they believe would allow people to voice their concerns and contribute ideas towards the design of the path.

Resident Trevor Watling, who stressed that he does not represent the entire community, acknowledged that there is interest in connecting pathways, and a “noble intent” behind them.

“I don’t think a single statistic from a region-specific survey should be used to justify specific interventions,” Mr Watling said.

“General support for paths and cycleways does not mean support for specific installations.”

A recent grassroots survey circulated in the community indicated that 89 per cent of the respondents opposed the current proposal. Among those, 28 per cent indicated that they might support an alternative.

“I suppose it’s a good idea, but not the way it’s done,” a local told News of the Area.

Others are questioning the need for the concrete pathway altogether,emphasising that, so far, the area has been taken care of by residents.

“It’s not a neglected area, it’s been a well-looked after grass area, […] we never heard locals saying anything needed doing, I think everyone around here was happy with it,” a local said.

A significant concern is that the new pathway will encourage e-bikes to access the area at dangerous speeds, therefore negatively impacting its accessibility.

Locals claim that there are many people with disability who are opposing the construction of the path; however East Ward Councillor Roz Armstrong, who has been in contact with the group, told News of the Area that despite her urging she was never put in touch with any of the people with disability who purportedly objected.

Other than accessibility issues, there is a belief that holidaymakers have not been sufficiently consulted, alongside  environmental concerns over the removal of trees and native plant species, such as the Tomaree donkey orchid.

East Ward Councillor Mark Watson confirmed that there had been discussions over modifying and even delaying the project, but they were ultimately rejected to avoid impacting grant funding.

The Shoal Bay Foreshore community has sent a formal complaint to Port Stephens Council concerning the dissatisfactory community consultation process, demanding that construction be paused until the claims have been investigated.

At this time, PSC’s website still indicates November 2026 as the projected timeline for the beginning of construction.  Additional information can be found on the project’s page at https://haveyoursay.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/halifax-harwood-shared-pathways.

Coinciding with the pathway construction, two of the beach access tracks are scheduled to be closed as part of a project to combat coastal erosion.

By Nico LOMBARDO

You can help your local paper.

Make a small once-off, or (if you can) a regular donation.

We are an independent family owned business and our newspapers are free to collect and our news stories are free online.

Help support us into the future.

Don’t miss the opportunity to have your say.

Our reader survey closes at midnight on Sunday 12th July.

TAKE OUR SURVEY

To help us continue improving and delivering the content you value, we’d love to hear from you.