August 19, 2026

M1 Pacific Motorway extension approaches its opening, and locals got to walk on it

AFTER more than three years of construction, the $2.24 billion, 15-kilometre M1 Pacific Motorway extension to Raymond Terrace is almost ready to open.

To celebrate the milestone, Transport for NSW gave the community the opportunity to walk a section of the highway on foot, including the scenic viaduct over the Hunter River.

The event proved to be exceedingly popular, with tickets quickly selling out and crowds of hundreds walking the 3.5 km journey.

Once fully operational, the extension will remove up to 25,000 vehicles a day from key congestion points, bypassing Hexham and Heatherbrae and connecting to the existing M1 at Black Hill.

NSW Police said that the highway extension would increase road safety by significantly redirecting traffic. It might, however, become harder to patrol.

“To do anything on here is going to be very hard for the police. If we get accidents on here it’s going to be hard. There’s hardly any way to turn around,” one said.

It was stressed that “holiday traffic will be hard, but it will be manageable.”

Fire and Rescue NSW services, present at the event, welcomed the completion of the extension, which they said would reduce traffic and make it easier to reach the site of an emergency.

The imminent end of the roadworks was also welcomed by the Hunter Region Botanic Gardens. During construction, the gardens were much harder to access, causing revenue to drop significantly.

Emeritus Professor Tim Roberts, patron of the Botanic Gardens, told News of the Area that, while the past few years had been difficult, the completed highway would be a great benefit that hopefully made up for the previous hardships.

Transport for NSW said that the exact opening date of the highway extension was still uncertain, and might vary in case of rainy weather. It was confirmed, however, that most of the new extension would be open in time for Christmas.

By Nico LOMBARDO

You can help your local paper.

Make a small once-off, or (if you can) a regular donation.

We are an independent family owned business and our newspapers are free to collect and our news stories are free online.

Help support us into the future.

Don’t miss the opportunity to have your say.

Our reader survey closes at midnight on Sunday 12th July.

TAKE OUR SURVEY

To help us continue improving and delivering the content you value, we’d love to hear from you.